Saturday, June 11, 2011

VBS Blues

Today I was feeling pretty good about how things were going this summer.  I have successfully navigated my son's SAT last Saturday, his taking the ACT today, one day camp, two son's apprenticeships at the science museum across town, worked on finishing up the school year, and worked on my own theology class assignment.  Whew!  Then today, I got the news--I am not cooking for VBS.

I teach my five kids all year, I teach RE to 20 kids during the school year, this year I didn't want to teach VBS.  I volunteered for cooking.  I love to bake and make treats.  To me, it is relaxing and fun.  When I volunteered to do it, I got a very good response from two of the three ladies "in charge".  I started to get excited and bought some decorations at a local Christian book store (yes, it is yet another warmed over Protestant VBS in Catholic clothing).  I researched prices, and I even researched sites to buy gluten-free, peanut-free, nut-free, milk free cake and cookie mixes.  The same site also has nut and peanut free granola, believe it or not.  All I was waiting for was my budget.

Well, apparently, the third lady gave the job to someone else.  Now, I don't think it was out of spite.  I think the problem is with having three "chiefs" so-to-speak.  So, I guess I am the nice one, the one that "won't mind" that they gave my job to someone else.  The one that won't make waves, because they want me to do the oh-so-"important" job of telling the kids how the snack ties in with the theme of the day.  Like a wimpy milk toast girl I said okay.  Well, the more I think about it, the more I am saddened and disappointed.  And, ya know what, I don't think I am going to take it.  I didn't want to teach this year.  I wanted to do something not-teaching and fun.  I wanted to be the funny, quirky lady with the apron on in the kitchen.  They are going to have to have someone else tell the kids how the food ties in with the theme.  I'm out.

No comments: