Monday, June 13, 2011

Pope Blessed John XXIII

Wow did I see a great movie on Pope John XXIII: The Pope of Peace yesterday.  I knew virtually nothing about him until then.  Words cannot describe how much that film moved me.  He was a brilliant man; a man with humor and heart.  He moved the Church to start an ecumenical council in just two short years--Trent took 25 years to organize!  He moved people with love and understanding.  Moved by his experiences in World War I and II and the cold war, he worked hard to talk to nations about peace.  If you ever get a chance to see this film you should.  Also, read his famous encyclical Pacem in Terris (Peace on Earth).  It has moved millions.  He died two months after the publication of this important encyclical.

Pope John XXIII was beatified on September 3, 2000.
God Bless

1 comment:

mariaclimbsamountain said...

I don't know much about him either. I had no idea there was a movie about him! I'll definitely have to check it out now. Thanks for sharing!