Sunday, October 28, 2007

One of those Days

Do you ever have one of those days?

I forgot to turn on my alarm clock last night. I awoke at 7:15; too late to get five kids up and to Mass by 8:15 by myself. I got everyone up, fixed breakfast, and tried to get everyone dressed. I pride myself in not yelling at my kids as much as their father does---But when it is 9:20, CCD starts at 9:30, and two of the kids still do not have shoes on, the voice starts to get loud. We only live two blocks from church but it can be an awfully loooooong walk sometimes. I had to teach a CCD class I absolutely do not enjoy. (I don't think personal "health and safety" belongs in CCD class). At least, I got to spent a few precious minutes introducing the kids to All Saints' Day coming up on Thursday. I tried to emphasize to the 4 students that did show up that November 1st is a Holy Day of obligation. After class, the other two teachers and I were trying to organize a planning day when I had 3 students running around tearing up the school room, 2 kids with the "come-on-mom-let's-go" syndrome, and 2 kids who disappeared on me. Mass was extra crowded and extra long today because of a ceremony for the confirmation class. After Mass, the kids scatter in different directions again. I try to have a conversation with one adult but the nasy "come-on-mom-let's go" sets in again. I must retrieve my 2 year old from the nursery where the lady already has all the hall lights and gate locked. I guess she had other plans. My 2-year old takes off in the opposite direction from the car. I have to drag him kicking and screaming to the car while carrying everyone elses 'crap' too. My two younger kids race, pushing and shoving, of course, to see who can make it to the car first; everybody calling 'dibs' on the seat next to the 'baby'. I have to wrestle the baby into his seat, kicking and screaming because I wouldn't let him tear across the parking lot like his brothers and sister. Then my daughter starts bawling at the top of her 6 year old lungs because of some perceived injustice (I did not answer a question I didn't hear). My 13 year old is yelling at the 8 year old to behave. Then the two in the back start yelling at each other. Well, guess what? Moms head just popped right off, right there in the front seat. I am sure if people could see me in that van, they saw actual steam coming out of my neck cavity. There are days when life with kids is soooooo overwhelming, it is all you can do to stay sane.

I love it when people say "You're the one who decided to have ALL THOSE KIDS". Ever feeling like socking someone in the mouth?

No comments: