Monday, May 14, 2012

Some thoughts

It's been awhile, again apologies.  I have had infrequent access to my account.  However, I thought I'd share some thoughts as I go through the Catechism for my most recent class.

"We do not believe in formulas, but in those realities they express, which Faith allows us to touch."  [CCC 170]

Despite what many outside the Church would have the public at large believe, the Church is not made up of mindless drones.  The Church is full of sincere Chrisians who want to share their faith with the world.  The reason we use "formulas," ie, creeds, is to express to others what exactly it is we believe.  Most, if not all, of the beliefs in the Apostles Creed could be accepted by the majority of real Christians today. 

The Apostle's Creed
God the Father
by Cima da Conegliano, 1505
Michelangelo's Pieta, circa 1500

I believe in God, the Father Almighty, Creator of heaven and earth; and in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord: Who was conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of the Virgin Mary; suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died and was buried. He descended into hell; the third day He rose again from the dead; He ascended into heaven, is seated at the right hand of God the Father Almighty; from thence He shall come to judge the living and the dead. I believe in the Holy Spirit, the Holy Catholic Church, the communion of Saints, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body, and life everlasting. Amen.

 
We must see this as a way of expressing as succintly as possible to truths of our Faith.  More later...

No comments: